Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lego Jigsaw, prototype I



First pass at routing some prototype pieces of my proposed system.

Successes:

  • It fits together!

  • It's (reasonably) material efficient - the good majority of the surface area of the 2'x4' blank was used.

  • It does seem to be pretty flexible in terms of application and very initial tests indicate it's fairly strong.


  • Failures so far:
  • Need plywood without veneer, or I need a slightly sharper and deeper cutting job, so as to not have to shred and destroy it cleaning the cuts up.

  • I messed up a bit on the placement of the passthru slots, I think

  • I was aiming at 2'x1' pieces to fill up the 2'x4' blank, but given endmill overlap on the cuts I had to scale them down, resulting in some material inefficiency.


Pile of most of the veneer that I had to break off.

No comments:

Post a Comment