Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Packing tape explorations











I've taken Beth and Maria's packing tape and done a few experiments. While they used clear packing tape, I've been doing smaller-scale explorations with thinner brown tape, which is opaque.




I've found that clear packing tape does well to laminate objects, so I encased a few rose petals between two pieces. The brown tape was hard to work with because it would tear in odd places before I could pull it off the roll, and the adhesive had a mind of its own. Nonetheless, I'd say that the adhesive is one of its strengths, allowing it to instantly attach to things and seamlessly transition into other materials. I made a sample pop-up book composed of varying layers of brown tape, taped to itself. More layers = more stiffness, so the shape of each layer could be modified this way. It can hold its own weight up in most cases, which leads to buoyant curves when layers are stacked on top of each other.

One other thing that I discovered that might be of use is the tape's ability to strip off what has been drawn with pencil or ink on another source. Putting a layer of tape on a sketch and then pulling it off creates an inkblot-like sequence, and when you're done you have a photocopy of your drawing!

Because it is so sticky, it lends itself to being molded into self-supporting sculptures, so I took off thin strips of tape that naturally curled and combined them (without additional joining elements) into a heap of curly tape.



No comments:

Post a Comment