Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stretch it to the Limit

Round 1 of small scale experiments.




Round 2 larger scale experiments.










The material I have chosen to experiment with is the stretchy fabric know as Spandex. The material used is 5% Spandex and 95% Rayon.
First I did some small scale experiments with stretching the Fabric in different ways using bass wood to help push and stretch the material into various forms. I used a book called
Fabric Architecture for inspiration.
Then for the larger scale experiment I used my desk space in studio that has now become more defined by the addition of this material. This canopy creates a new atmosphere and space by simply making use of the column and my shelf as anchors and using hooks for the material to attach and optimize the stretch of the fabric depending upon the location of the hooks. I have come to find that this rayon-spandex material is pretty easy to stretch and transform into many different shapes as you can see above and will see for the presentation on Tuesday. If you would like to see this canopy structure up close and personal come visit my desk in 4th year studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment